Friday 16 July 2010

Super Vox

Well I took my Super Vox to my friendly local wizard today and we found out what had been causing the problem. Because it's 70 years old and has been over-oiled all the gunk has eaten away at the insulation (which, as it's that horrid old bootlace stuff, perishes over time anyway) and has caused a fault in one of the circuits. We (I say we...) cut back the wires beyond the fault (right up against where the wiring is very tightly packed- thankfully we didn't have to go any further back) and we (I say we...) have soldered on a new set. Then we added some 'gunk' (better gunk than what was on it before!) to help with the insulation and at that point I left since the gunk had to be left to set.

Best case scenario- we've (I say we've...) got it all right and the thing will work a treat, better than before in fact since we've (I say we've...) cured the rather worrying amount of 'play' in the main shaft with replacement washers which should cure that rather horrible and worrying metal-on-metal scraping sound it made when it was switched on.

Worst case scenario- it doesn't work for whatever reason and the motor windings have to be professionally re-wound. This will cost about £70.

I wonder which it will be, will it be the simple solution or the awkward solution? The cheap one or the expensive one? One thing you can be sure of it won't be the easy one because, as we know:

Nothing's ever f**king easy!

No comments:

Post a Comment